What is SDA?

SDA (Specialist Disability Accommodation) is a home that has been designed to respond to the physical needs of people with an extreme physical disability. The home has the right supports built into the structure and must meet the Liveable Housing Australia standards to be registered as an approved NDIS SDA home.

The purpose of SDA is to provide a ‘home’, not just a place where services are delivered. The SDA guidelines limit the number of residents per house to a maximum of 5 in a single dwelling to ensure a home atmosphere is maintained.

A well-designed home in the right location can allow for more independent living arrangements, increased community connection and access to informal supports.

My NDIS plan doesn’t have SDA funding included. How do I apply?

The SDA funding process is managed by the National Disability Insurance Agency.  You can start  by talking to your NDIS planner who will link you with a Support Coordinator to develop a Housing Plan. You will need to check you meet the eligibility criteria and collect a variety of evidence that supports your application.  An occupational therapist who specialises in disability accommodation assessments can help you to explore the most appropriate housing for your needs. 

  • SDA funding will only be provided to participants who ask for this funding.
  • It must be an NDIS goal and 
  • it must be discussed at your NDIS planning/review meeting.

The whole process can seem a little overwhelming so we suggest that you or your support coordinator call us at the Disability Housing Centre to discuss your individual circumstances.

Who is eligible for SDA funding?

Those with high to very high physical disabilities with a housing goal to live in a home that has the right supports to allow for the greatest degree of independence.

Very High support needs means one or more of the following:

  • Informal supports can’t meet personal care needs
  • A person has spent a long time in a group home or residential aged care
  •  Behaviours that pose a risk to oneself or others

SDA is listed as ‘Capital Supports’ in an NDIS plan and it will also list the SDA Design Category and the location funded. Design categories are Improved Living, Fully Accessible, Robust and High Physical Support.

How much does it cost to live in an SDA home?

Reasonable Rent Contribution as set by the NDIA which includes
25% of the Disability Support Pension and 100% Rent Assistance

PLUS 100% of the SDA funding in your NDIS plan

How do I apply for a listed vacancy in an SDA Smart Home?

In partnership with SDA Smart Homes we have direct access to a portfolio of brand new homes that are designed to enhance independent living.  We can explain how you can access SDA via the NDIS and what steps are involved in moving into an SDA property. If you are interested in any of our current advertised vacancies or would like to talk about how we can help you with your specific housing needs, please contact our NDIS SDA Accommodation Manager.

Do you offer Short Term Accommodation Options or Respite?

Disability Housing Centre in collaboration with SDA Smart homes has a portfolio of properties built to the High Physical Support SDA specifications, that can be accessed for short stays under Short Term Accommodation and Medium Term Accommodation depending on eligibility and availability. DHC partners with NDIS registered care providers who are committed to ensuring even brief stays in our modern and tech enabled accessible homes will be relaxing and enjoyable. Speak to our NDIS SDA Accommodation Manager for further information on vacancies and eligibility.

Can I use Medium Term accommodation funding?

Funding for Medium Term Accommodation (MTA) is available to NDIS participants who require temporary transitional housing while they wait for their permanent home to become ready or available for use. MTA funding is paid from a participant’s NDIS plan under Core Supports and covers daily accommodation costs only for a period of up to three months. 

The cost of receiving care is separate and paid separately to the service provider who delivers support staff.

The Disability Housing Centre may be able to offer a vacancy in our SDA certified homes on a transitional arrangement in some situations.  If you think this may be a suitable option for you or someone you are supporting, please speak with our NDIS SDA Accommodation Manager.

Who will provide my care in the home?

The Disability Housing Centre works in partnership with a number of NDIS registered support providers who are committed to delivering the highest standard of care to tenants living in SDA Smart Homes properties.  This is generally provided under a Supported Independent Living (SIL) arrangement.

The NDIS funds SIL arrangements to provide assistance with, or supervision of, daily living tasks in a shared living environment.  SIL arrangements do not include rent or daily living expenses. You will need to pay for these costs out of your personal budget.

Who collects my rent and responds to maintenance and tenancy issues?

Each tenant holds an individual residential tenancy agreement with SDA Smart Homes that complies with the Residential Tenancies Act. SDA Smart homes as the property manager is responsible for conducting routine property inspections, collecting rent and undertaking property maintenance.

How will complaints and feedback be handled?

The Disability Housing Centre and SDA Smart Homes is committed to being open and responsive to any complaints or suggestions for improvement made by its service recipients (people we support / participants) or other members of the community and stakeholders. We will seek an outcome to a complaint which is satisfactory to all parties and will endeavour to incorporate suggestions for improvement into service development and business improvement programs.

For further information, please request a copy of our complaints and feedback policy.  You can also contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission for information and advice if you are unhappy with the standard of service you receive. NDIS Commission